You’re driving down I-25 on your Harley Davidson, wind blowing in your hair, headed towards the motorcyclist convention, the big event of the year. You are going to be the coolest person there. But maybe not, if you don’t have motorcycle insurance.
So here’s the basic run down, step-by-step, of motorcycle insurance coverage in Colorado.
The Minimum Requirements and What’s Covered:
Guess what, you need insurance. No, seriously, it’s the law. If anything, you at least need the minimum: liability insurance.
What is Liability coverage?
To cover the cost of injuries or property damage if you are responsible for an accident on your motorcycle.
Okay, but what does that include?
At the minimum, you should have:
- Base of $25,000 for bodily injury per person
- Base of $50,000 for total bodily injury coverage per incident
- Base of $15,000 for property damage coverage per incident:
Now that we’ve got the bare minimum coverage, let’s talk about how you could have even more protection.
- Collision coverage: you’re covered no matter what for damage, even if the accident was their fault! This is an excellent choice and just a slight step up from basic coverage.
- Comprehensive: Dude, Where’s my Bike? Guess what, it doesn’t matter, because comprehensive bike insurance covers your loss in the case of flood and tornado damage or even if your bike is stolen.
- Personal injury protection coverage: protect your loved ones who also love your bike. Personal injury protection coverage covers medical treatments in the event your passenger is injured.
- Accessory coverage: you love your bike, but all it needs is new speakers. But you don’t have to worry, because you have accessory coverage which covers any customizations that you add to your motorcycle and that is an awesome deal.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Odds are you have a riding group (especially if you love discounts), but what if one of them hits your bike and doesn’t have insurance? Uninsured motorist coverage will cover your medical treatment and damage.
How much does motorcycle insurance cost, though?!
In Colorado, the average cost is $534 per year, approximately $45 per month! Now, if that seems like too much, the good news is that it is easy to earn discounts.
It’s so easy, and here is how:
- Own a home
- Pass a motorcycle safety course
- Join a riding association
- Bundle your insurance and save in more way than one
- Pay your annual premium in full
Bundle to save image/meme
That is a lot of easy savings!
We make it easy to protect yourself and others on your bike. Get a quote for motorcycle insurance today!